- Deck prisms catch and reflect light
- Perfect keepsake or paperweight
- Aqua Green Glass
- Hand poured in the United States
- Weight: 2.5 lbs (1.13 kg)
- Dimensions: 4.75 x 4.75 x 4.25 in. (12 x 12 x 10.8 cm)
- Rustic deck prism hanger included
- Brass powdered finish
- Hand made in the United States
In the days before electricity, light below a vessel's deck was provided by candles, oil and kerosene lamps, all dangerous aboard a wooden ship. A clever solution for the lighting problem was the deck prism. Laid flush into the deck, the hexagonal glass prism refracted and dispersed a flood of natural light into the cabin below from a small deck opening without weakening the planks or becoming a fire hazard.
This is a genuine replica Deck Prisms from the Charles W. Morgan sailing vessel which is berthed at Mystic Seaport. During a major restoration, 1977-1984, it was discovered that several of the original deck prisms on the ship had been cracked and damaged. Molds were taken from the original 19th century deck prisms and hand-cast replicas were produced to replace the original.
Our glass is hand poured in the United States. Due to the nature of the hand cast process each piece is unique.Houzz